Saturday, March 7, 2009


It's to the Irish, most inventive of races, that we owe the sandwich. Etymologically inclined readers will know that the very word comes from "sand wedge," a derisive term applied to the Irish laborers brought over to London to dig the Thames Tunnel under the direction of the legendary Isambard Brunel. These frugal workers would dine on a combination of cheddar cheese, bacon, and tomato - then thought to be poisonous - which they ate between two slices of white bread.

Since I was planning a day of burrowing myself - into my imagination rather than into the sub-Thamesian muck - I made myself a "sand-wedge," seen below.


The writing life does have its pleasures.

1 comment:

  1. Good evening, Pete, Quaker Oats Company CEO Robert S. Morrison here. Just wanted to let you know that I invented a literature themed cereal, Oops! Ashberries, that you may want to keep an eye peeled for. Keep up the good work otherwise.

    ReplyDelete