Thursday, March 5, 2009

Do I Enjoy Writing?

There's lots of talk about Colm Toibin's claim that he finds no enjoyment in his writing.

Which put me to two thoughts:

1) I'm told women's brains release a chemical which causes them to forget the pain of childbirth. I wonder if writers have something similar.

2) One day, when I was about eight, attending Sacred Heart elementary, I asked Sister Katherine if she enjoyed being a nun.
"Do I enjoy it?" she asked.
"Yes."
She looked at me, then she pointed a bony finger at a crucifix hanging on the wall.
"I enjoy what I have to do a hell of a lot more than He enjoyed what He had to do."

2 comments:

  1. If only their bodies could somehow excrete a chemical which inhibited their whining about the pain of childbirth, am I right, fellas?

    High five!

    ReplyDelete
  2. literalDan - LOL, snicker, hey, you try to pass a watermelon! Is that what you usually get ;-)

    ahem, #2, wonderful answer. I guess we just need to suck it up.

    ReplyDelete